Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance
What Our Program Offers You
What our students learn/Skills you will acquire
The Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance curriculum is designed to prepare both the student seeking a career in dance as a performing artist as well as the student seeking a career as a teacher/choreographer in a private studio setting.
- diverse, integrated technical skills in ballet, modern dance and jazz techniques
- nuanced performance skills in classical and contemporary styles
- contemporary dance composition skills, including contact improvisation and partnering
- professional lighting, costuming and technical theatre experience
- historical, scientific and pedagogical foundations for building dance careers
- professional career development strategies, including the use of web/media technology for creative and promotional purposes
What kind of issues/problems does this major prepare you to solve?
Shenandoah’s Dance Division prepares you to contribute to your artistic and cultural community in an increasingly competitive market that demands diversity, collaboration and creative strategies.
What makes our program unique?
Our program offers a wealth of intensive training and performance experiences in a diverse, arts saturated environment while maintaining the close-knit community and “feel” of a dance company.
We offer an exciting new Arts Leadership Masters degree program that can be accomplished with one additional year of study after you complete your undergraduate degree.
Our dance majors are engaged in research studies with the Athletic Training and Physical Therapy graduate programs, and benefit from the availability of evaluation and care that is scheduled on campus throughout the academic year and backstage during performances.
Diverse opportunities are available for you to perform in faculty, guest artist, peer and self choreographed work.
The international focus of Shenandoah University facilitates opportunities for you to study and perform in other countries.
Our Conservatory setting facilitates collaborative experiences with colleagues in music and theatre.
Your professional expectations are nurtured within a caring community focused on developing personal excellence and achieving individualized goals.